Friday, September 05, 2008

My 5 year old is going to be published! She wrote a poem a few weeks ago and it was so sweet I decided to enter it into a poetry contest. Well, we got word today that they are going to publish it in a book of poetry collected from school children across the country. Most of the entries come from older kids I think, but hers was accepted and she couldn't be more proud of herself.


Here's her poem, exactly as she recited it to me and how it will be in the book:

Cold, I don't want to be with you. You are like a block of ice.
Hot, I can't be with you. You are like a burning fire.
Warm, I like to be with you. You are just right.
I want you to cuddle up with me in my bed at night.

Here she is with her letter of acceptance. I'm very proud of my little girl!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed ! How fun to be published & have your creativity be acknowledged at such an early age. Congratulations to Gwen and her smart mom for submitting the writing.
Davenport's focus this year is "Differentiated Instruction", as if that's something new ! Difficult to do with a class of 26 & structured curriculum but smiled to read how you understand and do so well meeting the needs of your young learners. Creating life long learners is what it's all about. I love your blog, Robin & love you all, Aunt Ro

Mama Teaching 3 said...

I am so happy for her! AHHHHHHHHH! That was a beautiful poem!

Rhonda said...

Congrats! Great job!!

Tisha said...

That's GREAT!!! :) WTG!